Thursday, July 29, 2010

My garden

"From the giant gum tree to the very small weed, every flowering plant started out as a seed. Plants are so useful to me and to you Can you think of the ways? I will name you a few"
-Oh say can you seed?


Last year I started my own garden. I'd always wanted to do so but having a daughter made it seem even more fun. Something to teach her and show her. It had humble beginnings. I grew the easiest of plants, the goards; winter quash, acorn squash and pumpkin. I did very little work on it and the gourds were hearty.
This year my friend Tamra sent me some more seeds. She has been gardening for a few years and is much better than I am. She is also part of a co-op in Florida.
My garden took considerable more effort this year as the weeds grew in abundance! The plants also took on a life of their own. I planted, watermelons, spinach, lettuce, green beans, summer squash, carrots, 1 tomato plant and zucchini.
The lettuce was the first thing ready. It was so cool to just go to my garden and pick some lettuce leaves for a salad. Sadly, I didn't take any pictures of the lettuce. But I did get a picture of my next haul:
Green beans and a mondo zucchini

I wound up making stuffed zucchini (thanks to my neighbor for the idea).

Recipe for Stuffed Zucchini
Ingredients:
Zucchini
Ground beef
Italian sausage
bread crumbs
1 egg
pizza or marinara sauce
spices ( I used onion powder, garlic, and basil I think)
grated cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
Cut the zucchini length wise and hollow out the seeds with a spoon. Save half of the seeds to add back in ( I kept the other seeds to dry for next year). In a bowl
Add all the above ingredients except cheese and sauce. Mix together like you are making meatloaf. Place the meat concoction into the hallowed out zucchini halves. Top with sauce and bake. Time varies. Its much faster if you actually brown your meat first. If you brown it I think you are looking at about 40 min. I didn't so mine took an extra 30-40 min.
When its close to done add cheese to melt and bubble.
Cut into portion sizes and serve!

Here are some pics of it.

1 comment:

  1. You can check allrecipies.com for more precise directions and alternatives variations.

    ReplyDelete